1. Chill your copper mug. Simply set it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes prior to five o’clock – whatever ‘five o’clock’ means to you.
2. Mise en place (/mizɑ̃ˈplas/) – an excuse to speak French, literally meaning “set in place”. After all, a good bartender is always organized. Set out each of your ingredients and tools.
3. Once your mug is chilled, fill it with ice. Then, add the vodka and lime juice to taste. Finally, fill the remainder of the mug with your ginger beer of choice and give it a quick swirl with your mixing spoon or straw.
4. Say “Voilà” in your best French accent (/vwa.la/)
5. Chef’s kiss. (Pinch the fingers of one hand together, and quickly kiss the tips of your fingers.)
6. Cheers. Whether you’re in the company of others, or in solitude, a ‘clink’ makes it official.